Patuxent High School is a comprehensive, four-year public high school. The school is located in the southern portion of Calvert County, with proximity to the greater Washington, D.C. area, Annapolis and Patuxent Naval Air Station.
- Patuxent has 69 certified teachers, 4 full time counselors and a full time registrar who serve 1073 total students and 257 seniors (in 2019-20).
- In June 2015 Patuxent High School was ranked 30 by Newsweek among the 237 Public High Schools in the Maryland and ranked 863 among the Top Schools in the country.
- In June 2012 Patuxent High School was ranked 26 by Newsweek among the 237 Public High Schools in the Maryland and ranked 727 among the Top Schools in the country.
- In June 2009 Patuxent High School was ranked 542 by Newsweek among the 1000 Top Schools in the country.
- In April 2008 Patuxent High School was ranked number 550 by Newsweek among the 1300 Top Schools in the country, which was the highest in Calvert County.
- In 2003 Congressman Steny H. Hoyer recognized Patuxent for being ranked among the nation's top 700 most demanding public schools as reported by Newsweek. In April of 2005 Jay Mathews of the Washington Post rated Patuxent as one of the top 30 most exceptional public schools in the region.
Grade Point Average
Final course grades are shown on transcripts and consist of percent grades (out of 100). However, student GPAs are based on marking period grades and are recalculated quarterly. Marking period percent grades are converted to their 4.0 GPA counterparts using the following scale:
Courses meet daily for the entire school year. One credit is given for each class in which the final grade of 60 or better is earned.
Advanced Placement Courses (23)
- English Literature /Composition
- English Language / Composition
- Calculus I & II
- Physics B & C
- Environmental Science
- Computer Science
- American History
- United States Government & Politics
- World History
- European History
- Studio Drawing, 2D Design & 3D Design
- Music Theory
* Not all courses are offered every year
Minimum Graduation Requirements:
- English 4
- Math 4
- Science 3
- Social Studies 3
- Physical Education .5
- Health 1
- Fine Art 1
- Tech Ed 1
- Rigor Requirement 1
Completion Of A State 2-5 Approved Pathway:
- College Preparatory
- Advanced or Career Technology
Total Credits: 23.5 Service Learning: 75 Hrs. Maryland High School Assessments in:
- Algebra 1
- English 10